What has been happening?
I can see from the hot topics in the forum, news of the demise of the Got To Do app is spreading a little prematurely. In the last 2 or 3 months I have not been very active in making updates to the app. This is the result of my day job consuming all of my free time. It looks like it is going to continue for another couple of weeks, but I am gradually getting some time to get back to the app.
I have not made any official announcements up until this point, as I really had no idea when my work load would ease up – it is a very important time for me at the day job and I am afraid this will always take priority over Got To Do. But, that said, I have no intention of giving up on the app!
I see that there are 2 strong competitors in this space now, one of which is produced by a software company that has had success with the same app on the iphone. Having looked at both, I still see quite significant differences in the approaches of all the apps and have concluded that it is worth my while starting on the v2 of Got To Do.
I will try to be more communicative if I am not working on changes for the app in the future! But you will have to take any timescales I mention as only being accurate at the time I made them!
Thank you for your patience, I apologise if some of you have been frustrated by my absence.
My intention is to focus most of my time on a completely re-written v2 of the app. V1 is the first Android app I have written and with that experience under my belt I can see quite a few fundamental design changes that I would like to make. This coupled with a completely new v2.0 API from Toodledo (recently released) has led me to conclude that a rewrite is actually going to be the best course of action to put in place a foundation for the future of the app.
What will be on the list in v2?
Pretty much everything from v1 plus the following:
- Location support (provided in v2 api)
- Goal support
- Backup support
- Less tie in internally to Toodledo (with the aim of supporting other online services later on)
- Making Tags first class citizens (this will need to be done in the app as Toodledo have no support in their v2 API for this.)
- Consideration for tablet devices (pending investigation of how!)
- Finally adding the user definable lists (user defined search)
- Changing the sync model, to be more driven by changes than on a timer. There will still need to be a timed part to pickup tasks (perhaps hourly) from TD.
There will be consideration for many other smaller requests that have been building up since I launched the app too.
How do I think I will do this?
The first step is in rewriting my Toodledo API access library, this will now use v2 of their API and will support all entities that TD provide. Once this is complete, I will replace the existing library in v1 of the app. I am hoping that this will make many of the force close/date time issues that a few people are experiencing go away – it will definitely make the duplicate folder/context issue go away. I am estimating that this work will take 2-3 weeks.
After I have upgraded the v1 app, I will be spend just about all of my development hours on rebuilding the app – this will include a much more Android-esque content provider backed model, instead of the more flexible (but less integrated) DAO model I currently have. I have learned many things about Android application design during the last 12 months and realise that many of the screen issues that people have are a result of not having quite the right design underneath.
I am hoping to start making an alpha version available to volunteers as soon as I have minimal functionality – I will ask for volunteers at that point, I will probably do this through a free app on the market each version of which will only work for 30 days or so. It will be installable alongside the existing v1 of the app.
Thanks for your continuing support!